Monday, March 12, 2012

Wait for it...

… because this post is going to be legendary.   For those of you who are familiar with the television show How I Met Your Mother, you should also be familiar with Barney Stinson, the scotch drinking, cigar smoking, and suit wearing best bro to Ted Mosby.  Over the past 7 seasons of the show, it’s safe to say Barney has taught us one thing, suits are cool.   While I probably wouldn’t be seen wearing a suit everyday like Barney does, I do enjoy the rare occasions where suits are a requirement.  What can I say, suits give me a sense of confidence, and when I am wearing one I feel like I can do anything. 
                Suits are one of those pieces of clothing that are essential to a women’s wardrobe.  It doesn’t matter if that’s what you’ll actually be wearing for your job, but they a requirement for most, if not all, job interviews and career fairs.  The night before my first career, I specifically remember running out the Kohls to get a suit, because in my mind being there without one would be the end of the world.  Luckily I found a suitable one (no pun intended), and I excelled the career fair, talking with many people at a lot of companies.  It may not have been the suit itself, but it was the feeling the suit gave me that made me confident. So if you’re about to have an interview or be at a career fair there are a couple of important things to remember when looking for a suit:
1.       For your first suit get black- it matches everything!
2.       Make sure you find a suit that the store always carries; just in case something happens to one piece it can be easily replaced!
3.       Don’t be afraid to spend a little more… remember, this suit is giving a first impression to companies.  You may have bought the suit, but the suit is selling you to the employers!
This part of your wardrobe is probably the most important, so make sure you get a suit that’s well tailored to your body, and that you’re comfortable in.  So let’s suit up, and get down to business with my steal, spend, and splurge choices this week!


If you're younger in school or just getting started with career fairs, this suit from Kohls is perfect for you! I had one very similar and it got me through everything from interviews and company visits until I got my permanent suit!

This suit from New York and Company is the perfect step up from your first suit.  It's not too expensive, and the skirt adds a feminine aspect to an otherwise male oriented piece of clothing!

My splurge is this beautiful suit from The Limited.  This is the suit I currently have, and I love it! The collection has the jacket, and different style skirts and pants that you can mix and match!

No comments:

Post a Comment